History & Ethos

Quinton House School aims to provide a ‘family’ environment in which the character, personality and individuality of each pupil are developed.

The School seeks to help each pupil to achieve their individual potential and to promote their academic, personal, social and moral development. The School aims to fire imaginations and inspire each pupil, fostering a lifelong love of learning, along their educational journey and into adulthood.

Care for the individual as a whole and about his or her personal development and extracurricular involvement complements the emphasis on academic achievement, and demonstrates the richness of the school’s provision for its pupils.

A high calibre staff, who are dedicated and enthusiastic, work as a team in the pursuit of the school’s aims. Quinton House is unashamedly ambitious (although not pretentious), striving continually to improve itself, and to enhance its local, national and international reputation.


1189

Fitzsewin family build a manor house on the grounds.

1416

Richard Knightley purchases Upton.

1600

The Samwell family occupy Upton. Sir Thomas Samwell and his wife rebuild the Hall.

1611

Sir James Harrington born at Upton.

1946

The last private owner, Mr James, passes away and the estate passes into the ownership of the Sir Thomas White’s trust.  A lease by three ladies surnamed “Teape” is taken out and Upton Hall School opens.

1966

Headmistress, Miss K Madden, renames the school Quinton House.

1986

Ownership of the estate passes to Northampton Borough Council.

1990

New sports fields laid out in the walled garden.

1991

The school admits its first sixth formers.

1996

The school celebrates ‘50 years of a school at Upton Hall’

2004

Quinton House acquired by Cognita Schools, the first acquisition for the group.                 

2015

Current Headteacher, Ms C Cozens, joins the school.